Thursday, September 17, 2009

I'm Getting Old... or maybe tired... actually I know, both!

Today has been a long, awesome, whirlwind day. It started off with getting ready to meet Jayne Riley for the first time and ended with seeing the Doosan Bears play the Eagles (can't remember their sponsor's name).

When we finally reached the stadium, we had to walk by an area where it appeared they were selling some food and drinks (I don't think they were certified vendors, but I'm not telling). As we walked past, the most awful smell came from the food. It was all kinds of seafood, squid, sushi, and other things I could not identify in my attempt to get past there while holding my nose. So what great Korean delicatessen did I enjoy at the ballgame? KFC. Wait a minute, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me back up.

Before the game, after we returned from seeing Jayne Riley, we got changed, I posted some blog stuff and then we were off to the War Museum of Korea. It was pretty spectacular.




Did you notice the cute couple talking with their feet in the water?



An absolutely beautiful museum that displayed the turbulent, yet heroic times and history of South Korea's military and nation.

There were old pieces of military equipment from planes to tanks to boats used by the South Korean Army on display outside and a fantastic display on the inside of the history of South Korea in war. One thing that amazed me was on the way inside the museum from the side, there was an open-air hallway that displayed all the names of the soldiers who lost their lives in defending their country, etched in black marble with gold lettering. Very powerful!




But adults aren't the only ones who enjoyed the Museum today. Check out what they had in there for the kids. They never had anything like that when I was growing up.


We left the Museum and walked (I can't tell you how much we've walked- it makes me soooooooo appreciate living in a small town!) to the subway and rode the subway, hopping from one to another like old pros, to make it about 30 minutes before game time. Yes, that's when the smell of all that seafood ruined mom's appetite for the night. In case you didn't know where we were going:


Which then led us to this:

... which led then to this:

... which then led to this... absolutely crazy. When you watch this video, remember that the game isn't even going on (For example, where's the batter and the ump?). The crowd is fanatical about their baseball. It is a sight to see.


One thing that was pretty cool about the baseball stadium: it is right next door to another stadium with quite a rich history

Yep, Seoul, Korea! Home of the 1988 Olympics and that was THE stadium. Pretty awesome.


The trip back to the hotel couldn't come quick enough and we were (ARE) exhausted. I am going to sleep and when I wake up, Mom and I are taking a guided City Tour and then after the tour, we will go and pick up Jayne Riley for good. Wow! I need some rest, I'm already getting tired.

Good night (actually to all of you, it is Good Morning),

Jason

3 comments:

  1. hey daddy, hopefully you will see this, erle said that yall could fly back on saturday or monday leaving at 1200 noon either day, it would be 250.00 per you and mimi, jayne riley would just get her ticket changed. i know that is expensive but you would save on hotel, and if you want to do that, it is fine. we love you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for finding KFC - you're doing well with food! :) Great pictures, especially the ones of the war museum. I didn't get to go there, but we drove by it one day - wished we had been able to go in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! So glad you are having such a memorable experience!

    ReplyDelete